I’ve always been a sucker for the free gifts that are available from the fancy cosmetic counters at department stores such as Macy’s and Dillard’s. It is a bad habit that I picked up from my mom at an early age. (Thanks, Mom!) But excuses aside, who can really resist the complimentary full-sized lipsticks, glosses and mini tubes of mascara, plus sample-sized (or sometimes even full-sized skincare items) that companies such as Clinique, Estee Lauder and Lancome provide to their loyal customers?
I received a message in my inbox last weekend about Estee Lauder’s current promotion, their “Summer Getaway” gift. What specifically caught my eye was the adorable tote that accompanied the EL products–a classy beach-inspired design by the ever-popular Lilly Pulitzer.
The tote, filled with goodies was free with a purchase of $35.00 or more in foundation or skincare products. I had originally purchased a powder foundation, but after trying it, brought it back to exchange for a full size of the Perfectly Clean foaming cleanser and Estee Lauder Gentle Eye Makeup Remover.
Inside the Lilly Tote – The Samples:
- Deluxe travel size Day Wear Advanced Anti-Oxidant Creme SPF 15
- Pure Color Crystal Lipstick in Tiramisu
- Pure Color High Gloss in Coral Chic
- Sumptuous Bold Volume Lifting Mascara in Black (10-day supply)
- Perfectly Clean Splash Away foaming cleanser (30 ml)
Though I have not had the opportunity to try all of these goodies yet, my thoughts on the ones that I have tried are…
- Day Wear Advanced Anti-Oxidant Creme SPF 15: This creme is not too heavy and leaves my skin feeling smooth and refreshed. I have worn it under my makeup and it blends into the skin nicely. It has a light scent, which is reminiscent of cucumbers–not exactly my favorite, but I don’t particularly care for cucumbers. My skin feels hydrated after use but not too oily. The SPF 15 is an added bonus, as I do not usually put any sort of sunscreen on my face. I would give this particular product a B+.
- Perfectly Clean Splash Away foaming cleanser: I am pretty picky about my facial cleansers and am not particularly loyal to any one type or brand. When I tried the sample sized cleanser in this Estee Lauder gift, I liked it so much that I decided to buy the full size bottle. It has a very light, powdery scent to it and has a white, creamy consistency. When worked into the skin, it foams up and leaves skin feeling fresh and clean. It works perfectly with a Clarisonic device. This cleanser deserves an A, and its grade might even improve as I continue to use it. Maybe this will be the first face wash that I will actually stick with.
Reviews will come for the other products that Estee Lauder included in their free gift. I’m looking forward to see how the lipstick looks on me since it appears to be a very shimmery pink. I’m not much of a lipstick wearer; I normally prefer tinted lip balm. Who knows? It might be a welcome change.
Overall, I give the “Summer Getaway” gift bag and its contents an A+ for its high quality contents, the generous size of the samples and of course, for the stylish Lilly bag that I can’t wait to show off at the beach or on a day when I’m just shopping and running errands around town.